Sunday, August 3, 2014

Goodman Home Tour

We've had some really fun things happen in the last few weeks. First my lovely and wonderful mother came to town after she helped my brother and sister-in-law get settled in in Texas. Basically from the moment she came until the moment she left, we were focused on two things: home improvement and FUN. After multiple trips to Target, Hobby Lobby, paint stores, and more Target, we made a lot of progress. We took some before and after photos so you can get the real essence of how busy we were while she was in town. 

Goodman Home Tour

Welcome to Goodman (or as we like to call it, Greatman)


Dining area BEFORE:


Dining area AFTER:


Just getting rid of the black curtains made a world of a difference. It's probably my favorite improvement that we made the whole week. So much more light and happy.

Living Room BEFORE:



Living Room AFTER: 



Again, we swapped out the curtains for some lighter ones, painted the wall behind the fireplace gray, and added some decor to the shelves. 

Entry:

This part is still a work in progress. I'm searching for an entry table to refinish and put under our little chalk board. So, stay tuned for that.

Entrance from garage:

 Painted that little key holder, got a shoe basket, and threw a rag rug down. This was another one of my favorite projects.

Got a jump start on a gallery wall in the living room.

I want to build around this piece. Wedding photos, maps, etc. I LOVE this piece that we found at Hobby Lobby. Not only is it the words to one of my favorite hymns, but I love the words themselves. I want those who visit our home to know that we attribute all of our blessings to God. And I want to always have a reminder to sing praises for the access we have to His grace--His divine help.
Hallway:


We framed this map of London that I got at Portobello Market while on my study abroad. As you already know, I love London so much. So having this in our hallway (especially in the adorable red frame) gladdens my heart every time I walk by. 
Guest bedroom:


Threw a rug down on the floor and got new sheets for the bed. It's ready for anyone who wants to come visit! ;)
We hung this in our room just the other day. This is so special to us. When my parents came into town for graduation, they took all of us to the MOA and we walked through the Sacred Gifts exhibit. As a gift, my parents told us we could pick any print and get a canvas of it. Jason and I chose this one. We love this portrayal of divine help and comfort sent  to Jesus while he was in Gethsemane. It reminds us that we have "angels round about us" every day as well, lifting us and comforting us. 

 Next, we channeled our efforts to the outside of the house. There were already hanging baskets and window baskets, so we just had to buy some flowers to brighten up them up a bit. 






These Dahlias. They're so lovely. 

After all this hard word, I was sworn into the Green Thumb club. There's no other club I'd rather be in. The best club, filled with the best people. 
 I love my mom. She has the kindest soul. After she left and was in the airport, I asked her what makes her feel appreciated when she's done kind things for people. This is how she responded: 

"I feel appreciated when I know you and Jason are treating each other with kindness. Also when you act on promptings to help others who may be lacking or in need. These scriptures are very meaningful to me and inform my behavior: Psalms 45:7 (thou lovest righteousness and hatest wickedness; therefore, God hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness), Proverbs 28:27 (he that giveth unto the poor shall not lack), and Proverbs 29:11 (a fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards). When I'm helpful I feel the oil of gladness."

My mom is a strong woman--a woman of sacrifice, dedication, loyalty, selflessness, kindness, charity, generosity, and hard, hard work. She is also quiet. While she was here, I asked her why she is quiet when she's around new people (I thought that she needed to be more talkative and outgoing so she didn't come across cold). But after reading that last scripture in Proverbs 29, I now understand that she is more wise to "keep it in" most of the time. I love and admire that woman. I learn from her continually. I hope that I am living my life in a way that shows appreciation to her and my dad for all of the blessings I've been given. I really did learn from the best. 

1 comment:

  1. Your mom and dad are the best! You've been a great student :) Hopefully we'll be able to see you when we come to Kansas!

    ReplyDelete