Our next stop after Zion National Park was Havasupai. After driving for eight hours, we parked our cars, strapped our packs onto our backs, and hiked ten miles down to the campsite.
Day One: The Hike Down to Havasupai
 |
| The handsome Brase boys. I ran ahead to the front of the pack with Jason's cousin, Brittany. It was so fun talking with her and getting to know her even better. I love that girl. |
 |
| As we got closer and closer to the waterfalls, we got little glimpses of clear, blue water making its way to the falls. We couldn't believe water that beautiful was running through this dry desert canyon. Truly an oasis. |
We started to hear the sound of distant water roaring. We got closer, the anticipation heightened, and then we saw this sight as we entered the campsite:
Can you believe how beautiful that waterfall is?? It was breathtaking! Such a refreshing reward after hiking ten miles through the hot, dry, dusty red rock canyon
 |
| The water was pretty frigid. But it felt really great on our tired, hot feet. |
There is something so rewarding about carrying your own pack--with all the necessities for several days of survival--for many miles. I felt so accomplished and fulfilled when we got to our destination. I felt so grateful for my body and my legs that are strong and healthy. I loved feeling exhausted and hungry, knowing that I had worked hard and carried my pack ten miles down the canyon. It just felt
so good.
That night, after we had played in the water and "oohed and aaahed" at the waterfall until dark, we made our dehydrated dinners, explored some caves, and read a story about one of the Kelly ancestors. I'm grateful that I married into such an amazing family with a rich heritage of discipleship.
We laid on the picnic tables and stared up to the sky, two towering canyon walls on either side of us, and a stripe of dazzling, twinkling stars between them. I love the earth. Being surrounded by God's creations makes me feel His love more than almost anything else in the world. And I especially felt His love and contemplated His grandeur that night under the stars.
Day Two: Escapade to Mooney Falls and Beaver Falls
To get down to Mooney Falls, which was not too far below our campsite, we climbed through some caves and then had to climb down a fairly sleep cliff, holding on to chains, repelling down backwards. It was an adrenaline rush, to say the least.
 |
| See what I mean about the steep descent? |
 |
| Mooney Falls |
 |
| And this is where our escapade began. I was so grateful to have my chacos for this adventure. We were hopping from the water to the hiking trail and then back to the water. We took the scenic route. I love my adventurous husband who still acts like a seven year-old boy on an imaginary adventure when he's in nature. |
 |
| Beaver Falls. Isn't it gorgeous? |
 |
| Me and the man of my dreams after jumping off the falls into the chilly water a few times |
Day Three: The Hike Back
On the morning of day three we woke up early, ate breakfast, packed up camp, strapped our packs on once again, and tried to hit the trail before the heat became too intense. Between the dusty, hot hike two days before and the back-and-forth-between-the-water-and-the-trail action the day before, I had collected quite a few sores and blisters on my feet. Even despite wearing plastic bags in my shoes, the dust and sand still made its way into my blistered feet. It didn't feel very good. Needless to say, I was overjoyed when we made it back up the steep switchbacks to the car so I could take my shoes off.
 |
| My favorite boys and me. |
 |
Me and my lovie. So thankful I get to do life with him.
|
We will look back on this trip with such fondness. Our last big trip while living in Utah, a trip with Michael before he left on his mission, spending time with Brittany and James before they headed off to their adventure in Paraguay. We had the BEST time and spent it with the BEST people.
No comments:
Post a Comment